September 20, 2012

The Down Side

The worst part about running a little ski company is letting people down.  We (I) may make 100 people extremely happy with our service and or product. This is the expectation the status qua of sustaining a business, and it does feel good.  What feels BAD is when we let someone down.  That happened this week.  We had issues in production, sourcing, manufacturing process, growing pains that contributed to bad service.  These are all issues/ poor excuses that everyone deals with and everyone must contend with.  What we (I) didn't do was communicate. We preach this in house. Be honest and upfront.  Be the "waiter" that explains the kitchen is backed up and offer more "bread", be the friend that calls if they are running late.  COMMUNICATE.  We apologize to Todd for not doing that.  Sometimes we get lost in shallow communication called email and facebook.  If you are running late, make a call, make things right.  We learned a lesson, and we thank Todd for bringing it to our attention.  Sorry goes out to my Mom too, when I didn't call when I got to my friends house in the summer of 1981...I should have learned the lesson then!


DWL

No comments:

Post a Comment