October 30, 2011

Day off

I woke up today thinking I am going to "work". Then I said, "take a day off". The irony is I am sitting here typing this wanting to lay up a ski. I am not going to. I cant wait for 7 am tomorrow when I do. We constructed four different pair of Kylie 186 the last couple of weeks. Everyone was a little different. We knew they would be stiff, how stiff was the question. The outcome, too stiff and a bit heavy. Here are some reviews from our team out on the snow:

Yo... well you know those things are stiff but man do I see potential in having a pair that stiff. I need to prob put my boot sole a little more forward and ski them with an appropriately flexed boot. But I could see me skiing those in comps when i would want a stiff ski like and I want to try them in pow.I just took a few laps at a-basin today. I think I need to detune them and perhaps edge the base bevel to 3 degrees so they wont track as much but i like them.. For skiing fast, hucking cliffs and going straight they are going to be awesome. The shape and width are perfect for a big mtn pow ski. I def think softer would be fine though the stiff tail is kinda nice.I would like to try a pair with out the carbon to see if its even neccesary. So i am stoked on the skis though! Drew Rouse

I think the 186 Kylie is really pretty close. I really like how damp the ski is. It never chattered, never felt unstable, and could go from big skidded turn to big skidded turn nicely (especially when driving forward). It also carved pretty well. But you really had to be forward and in an aggressive stance. I also found I could go from edge to edge quickly and then open it up when there was more room on the hill. It is overall a little too stiff, especially in the tails. I think that is why sometimes the ski just tried to go straight. If you weren't skiing aggressively and really forward the tails just want to go straight My only other critique is the weight. It is pretty heavy. Caleb Melamed

This brings us to tomorrow! As we took this feedback and CNC a new vertically laminated bamboo core and new sidewalls. As we flexed it, we loved it. 20% less stiff in the top and bottom 20% of the ski. We then profiled it so the stiffness kicks in quick. The result will be a ski that initiates quicker and easier at lower speeds or pressure. We don't make skis for 99% of skiers. If we did that 20% less stiff would be 30% less stiff and 30% back from the tips. We don't want Grace skis to fail anyone at 40, 50 60 plus MPH. That is when skiing gets good! We
want that stiff ski to be there for us, every time. The result is a ski that demands a little more on a groomer at 10 MPH. If you want an easy skiing ski, email us and we can point you in the right direction. As for our direction, this Kylie 186 that will come out of the press tomorrow feels perfect!! We will let you know.








No comments:

Post a Comment